What To Do Until Help Arrives: Water Damage
Water Damage From Clean Water Source
Dealing with water damage can be difficult.
The first thing you need to ask yourself, is where is this water coming from?
- A broken water pipe?
- Leaking refrigerator?
- Sink or bathtub overflowed?
- Hot water heater leaked?
These are all examples of a clean water source. Here are some tips to follow until your local SERVPRO can respond.
- Call SERVPRO of Coos, Curry, and Del Norte Counties at 541-808-2600 for immediate response.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture to a safe, dry place.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment is exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TV's or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn ceiling fixtures on if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retaining water.
- Feel like you're on your own. Call us now at 541-808-2600 and you will have an entire team to help you through this process.